-
June 26th, 2003, 01:15 AM
#1
TastinGood
Guest
half of all marriages today will end up in divorce.
Currently there are 2 Acropolis members that are engaged (not to each other).
We have Gravytrain who is wedding his high school sweetheart on July 12. GT has been an active poster on the acrop for awhile but has recently been absent. We are hoping he comes back to see us soon.
We also have Hanny (aka - cow cud) who will be getting hitched...er...sometime. Him and his wonderful fiance have been together and going strong since march-april 2002. They enjoy marshmallow fights, go kart racing at the local fun park and playing the ever popular candy crane game at the town drug store.
The Q is, which one of these couples will make it and which will not?
Feel free to post below or if necessary I can make this into a poll and we can tabulate the votes.
-
June 26th, 2003, 01:38 AM
#2
Cyalaytr
Guest
WOW Gravy.. you go boy. July 12th. That is the same day we got hitched. Ok well not you an me but me and the wife. :-)
Well here is my thought. Everyone who said I wouldn't make it this far... I have out lasted their marriage. HMMMM weird thing is I didn't think I would make it this far. Maybe not putting the pressure on it to succeed I have let it run its course. But I have been engaged 2 other times and both of those I thought would make it to marriage and never did.
So I think some things are never as they seem. My bet it put your money on the ones who you dont think will make it and go for the long shot. If they have made it this far and you still think they will fail then they prolly won't.
Either way. Congrats... or my sympathys which ever way you see marriage. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
-
June 26th, 2003, 01:55 AM
#3
HB Forum Owner
i think it should go without saying that the
most lasting 'marriages' are the common-law marriages.
the ones that don't have the hooplah of 'wedding
bliss... but are together merely out of social
convention labels.
these people aren't teeeeeeechnically married,
but they have lived together long enough to
be considered legally married by the government.
(i think the common-law marriage limit is seven years,
but i'm not really sure)
that should be worth noting....
-
June 26th, 2003, 02:03 AM
#4
Inactive Member
why?
do you think one will and another not?
i hope they both make it.....
truly i do...
its hard...but good things are hard
-
June 26th, 2003, 02:13 AM
#5
Cyalaytr
Guest
Common law in our state is I believe...
a) taking the name of the person you are with or referfering to yourself as the mrs of so and so or mr so and so who is with mrs so and so having the same last name
b) sharing a residance for more then a yr and something joint as "furniture, bank account" etc
The only reason I say this is because when me an the wife needed to get insurance... they said we could use the common law clause if we did either of the above. Now maybe that is only for insurance an not viewed by the state that way. If it dwelled too deep I can research it.
Now Shatzy states that common law marriages last longer then marriages.... Hmmm could this be due to that if they didn't do the cerimony you really think they are gonna pay $$$$$$$$$$$ time the cost of a wedding to get a divorce from someone they could just walk away from? Only to go drink a big 40oz cool off and come back home?
-
June 26th, 2003, 02:29 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Well.. common law marriages probably have a good head-start, being people who are already in a relation for a while, it's sort of a "we know we fit together, how about we doing this, cause it's gonna work out anyway".
Personally i consider marriages to be.. well.. great festivities, that's true, but they seem sort of a way for both partners to convince themselves they want to go on together. And if you need to convince yourself with a symbol like that, there's something wrong in your relation.
Not that all people use their marriage that way, but i bet a lot of people see marriage as some sort of blessed transition from a.. well.. relationship to a relationship that is a lot more.
Well.. after the honeymoon they're gonna find out the other is still the other.
(Funny btw, how many people who are in a long-term relation tend to get babies _after_ the marriage, but not before)
-
June 26th, 2003, 03:42 PM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
I won't even go into the statistics of it all...
because, well, it's just not worth your time.
And I'm sure you people who think marriage is just a 'societal label' and all that jazz would just be like "they're just stat's! they don't mean shit!"
but.. *shrugs* you guys would honestly, be VERY suprised...
I know this, because.... my classes make me.
-
June 26th, 2003, 03:44 PM
#8
TastinGood
Guest
thanks for the post that said absolutely nothing, hanny.....now post some stats! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
-
June 26th, 2003, 03:49 PM
#9
HB Forum Owner
yeah.... post some stats [img]graemlins/rain.gif[/img]
-
June 26th, 2003, 03:55 PM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
Well, I'd just like to state, most lasting marriages are NOT common-law as previously stated. Most LASTING marriages are actually the full on "hoopla" type event that most people hate. BUT, the amnt of people getting 'divorced' is on the rise... I dont remember by how much however.
CRAP, i remember now, I read in article in a magazine today! It was about lasting marriages...and that, although 90% of marriages have a huge fight, and THINK about divorce... those very same marriages, later say they are as happy if not happier than when they first were married.
Of course, that is.... one year, they take a quiz or whatever, or questionaire, and say "not very happy" then 5 years later, they are happy.
So the 90% of people that THINK about divorce, that don't do it, are actually better in the long run, which means most people today, (that growning % of people who DO go through with it) are probably just stupid, and want relationships like they want their food, .... quick, and however suits them best. Which is retarded.
But hey, it happens.
But as far as stats go.... I can't really provide exact numbers and what not... After all, i did sell all my books and shit back, come on... i'm a college student, need the $$$
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks